Saturday, April 11, 2009

visual problem solving

There are some things that I can do as well as before my brain had the big hiccup. I still have my sense of humor, and by all accounts - according to Dr. Halter - I still have excellent skills in "visual problem solving." That was the highlight of my recent conversation with her. I don't know what I can do with that skill because my speech still impedes me and my right arm is still not working, but it is good to know I am still "excellent" at something.  Today the fact that so much of ME is no longer "excellent" is bugging me. Like getting a bad grade, or failing an important test, I find the reality of failure excruciating. I am such a product of higher education! 

3 comments:

  1. You are MORE than a product of higher education. You are loved and no amount of education can ever give you that. You have life and experiences that you can share with others. You are a child of God. You are a sister. A friend. A mentor. You are far more than "a product of higher education".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your site through a link someone put on Twitter. I have an epileptic condition so I'm fascinated by brain related things (though what I have is nothing like a stroke).

    I wonder if, when you say, "...the fact that so much of ME is no longer 'excellent' is bugging me," you need to redefine "me" and "excellent." It strikes me that your "me" has changed so maybe what's required is a change in the standard you set that against? To use a cliche, you're comparing apples to oranges. If something has been lost, what may have been gained? Maybe you need to explore that a bit more.

    Not that changing definitions is the easiest thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, You make an excellent! Thank you! I keep trying to wrap my head around what is lost and what is gained. I need to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete